Adobe Systems Portable Document Format (PDF) is the industry standard for providing forms and information via the Internet. The Louisiana Department of Revenue (LDR) uses PDF for the distribution of tax forms because it enhances readability and print functionality.
Adobe's Acrobat Reader software is available for free download from the Adobe website. The Reader software enables any computer user to view and print PDF documents. (For more about Reader, click here)top of page
PDFs can be made "fillable". LDR has provided some forms that you can complete on your computer screen, and then prepare for printing. Forms that require figures, such as tax amounts, are even designed to calculate results, thus eliminating common math errors. Due to the design of the Acrobat Reader software, you cannot save the information you type into the form, however you can save the blank form to your computer for easy access.
The full version of Adobe Acrobat software is required in order to save changes to forms.top of page
Any laser, ink-jet, or bubble-jet printer can be used to print hard copies of LDR forms. Some high quality, high resolution dot matrix printers may work also.top of page
About Adobe Acrobat Reader
To view and print the forms and information available in PDF on the Louisiana Department of Revenue site, all you need is the Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free and can be run as an independent program or as a plug-in for most major web browsers to allow online viewing of PDF documents.
We recommend using the most current version of the Acrobat Reader. We discourage using any version older than version 4.0. Some forms and documents will not open with an older version of the Reader.
To download the Reader click on the "Get Adobe Reader" button below. This will take you to the Adobe Systems website. Follow the instructions on the Adobe website to install the software on your computer.
If you are not able to install and configure the Reader software, please e-mail us with the names and numbers of the forms you need and we will be happy to mail them to you.
Tax Forms: Contact us.top of page
Occasionally, PDF files may not open automatically in your Internet browser. Following are some troubleshooting tips that may help. Additional assistance is available from the Adobe Systems website.
Some users of the Windows version of the Reader plug-in have trouble viewing PDF documents online (getting blank screens, for example). These tips may help:
- Acrobat Reader 4.x - configure Reader to not use the plug-in module by unchecking "Web Browser Integration" under File/Preferences/General
- Acrobat Reader 5.x - configure Reader to not use the plug-in module by unchecking "Display PDF in browser" under Edit/Preferences/Options.
- Sometimes, reinstalling the Acrobat Reader software will correct the problem as well.
The Adobe Systems website may have additional plug-in tips.top of page
Check your browser security settings (Internet Explorer: Under the Tools menu, or the View menu in IE 4.x). If your browser security settings are set on "HIGH," your browser will not be able to open PDF forms and documents. Reset to "MEDIUM" or "LOW." If you do not wish to lower your security settings, please see the "Download Fix" section below.top of page
If you are using Acrobat Reader version 3.x or lower, you may have trouble opening PDF forms and documents. Please upgrade to at least version 4.0, if possible. For details, go to "About Adobe Acrobat Reader."top of page
If you are unable to view the forms and documents online, you may still be able to download the PDF file to your computer and save it for offline viewing and printing using the Acrobat Reader software.
PC 2-Button Mouse Instructions:
- Position your mouse pointer over the link to form you wish to download.
- Right-click on the link (press the right button on your mouse).
- Select "Save target as..." or "Save link as..." from the drop-down menu.
- In the "Save as..." window, select the location on your computer where you want to store the file. Choose a place where the file will be easy to find, like your desktop.
- The download should start instantly. Once it is complete, open the file with Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Position your mouse pointer over the form link, as above.
- Click and hold the mouse button down until the pop-up menu appears with your "save as " options.
- Proceed with save and download steps above.
For additional troubleshooting help, please visit the Adobe.com for technical assistance.top of page