Frequently Asked Questions
Office of Debt Recovery
What/who is the Office of Debt Recovery (ODR)?
Act 399, through La. R.S. 47:1676, established the ODR as a centralized debt collection unit authorized and required to collect delinquent debt owed to the state of Louisiana.
What statutes created and govern the operations of ODR? Where can I find a list of possible actions that can be taken on debt?
Visit the Legislative website at www.legis.la.gov/Legis and click on the Search tab under Louisiana Laws Search. Enter Law Body RS, Rule Number 47 and then enter the section number as shown below:
- R.S. 47:1676 This statute sets up the Office of Debt Recovery and outlines the purpose and scope of the office;
- R.S. 47:296.2 Suspension and denial of renewal of drivers’ licenses;
- R.S. 47:296.3 Suspension, revocation, or denial of hunting and fishing licenses;
- R.S. 47:299 Offset of Individual income tax refunds against debts owed certain state agencies;
- R.S. 47:1570 Distraint defined;
- R.S. 47:1571 Distraint Procedure;
- R.S. 47:1572 Surrender of property subject to distraint;
- R.S. 47:1573 Sale of distrained property;
- R.S. 47:1677 FIDM - Financial Institute Data Match.
Can I set up a payment arrangement?
To set up payment arrangements, please contact ODR at 225-219-2188 or 844-330-6176.
You may also email request to: ODRPaymentPlan@LA.Gov
Be sure to include Name, Debtor # and a Call Back Number.
What should I do if I believe I have paid this debt?
If you believe you have previously paid this liability in full, please mail a copy of the ODR letter with your account number along with proof of payment to:Office of Debt Recovery - P.O. Box 3317, Baton Rouge, LA 70821 ATTN: ODR – Accounts Receivable Correspondence
or Email: ODRDispute@LA.Gov
I received a letter from ODR indicating that I owe a debt. Is there someone I can contact regarding this letter?
You may contact ODR at 1-844-330-6176 or 225-219-2188
How do I make a Payment?
- Payment should be made payable to the Louisiana Office of Debt Recovery and mailed to P.O. Box 3317, Baton Rouge, LA 70821. To ensure proper credit, please print your account number on your payment and include a copy of the letter or the payment voucher located on the letter. Do not mail cash.
I have moved to another address. What should I do to update my mailing information?
- Please send a letter to Office of Debt Recovery - P.O. Box 3317, Baton Rouge, LA 70810 Attn: Address Correction
top of page